The Reason I Don't Buy Kits Anymore

Big news on the stitching front!  I finished one of my long time WIPs.



Cherry Hollow Farm Sampler by Stacy Nash.  This project right here explains perfectly why I don't buy kits anymore.  

Let's start at the beginning.  I saw this project at Lazy Daisy, my LNS, which has, unfortunately closed.  I had just gotten into a Sampler period and really liked this one, so I snapped it up.  It came with linen and Weeks floss.  What could go wrong?

When I went to start it I was planning in starting in the upper left corner.  Three inches in and three inches down, right?  Something didn't look right.  I couldn't figure out what it was.  Then I measured. The fabric was too small and only left a one inch border.  I needed new fabric.  Okay.  Of course the only fabric I really loved was expensive.  Are we surprised?  Isn't that always the way?

Then I was reading the instructions that came with the kit, and it stated that the model was stitched using one thread over two.  Ummmm...I didn't like that either.  I think that one thread over two doesn't really give good coverage.  After talking with the owner of Lazy Daisy we decided that since I was planning on using two strands I needed to get another skein of each color of Weeks that came with the kit to ensure that I didn't run out.  Fine.

The kit that cost me almost $30 for the initial purchase was now costing me another $40 in supplies!

I started it, with the new fabric and extra floss, which I did need, and I finally finished it last night.

Let this be a lesson to me: no more kits!

Comments

Meari said…
It looks great, though! Congrats on your finish.
Congratulations on your finish! I wish designers would provide a chart only option along with a kit option. Often times, I swap out kit fabric or opt for a bigger cut of fabric. Anyway, your finish is super.

Popular posts from this blog

My Original "You're Crazy!" Project

Not Much Stitching Going On

Sometimes The Instructions Are The Hard Part