Teaching An Old Stitcher New Tricks

Today is August 11, 2017.  Do you know what day it is?  It's World Cross Stitch Day!!  Does anyone plan on celebrating today?  I know I certainly do!  What is everyone working on to celebrate our hobby?

For those of you who don't know it, I'm a huge Star Wars fan.  I came to love the franchise in my late teens because I wasn't allowed to see the films when they first came out.  I'm not sure why that was, but the first film I saw in the movie theater was The Return of the Jedi.  Since I hadn't seen the first two movies, parts of the plot were pretty much lost on me, but I have since made up for that.  I'm not a big Etsy person, but every now and then I peruse it to see what they have.  I found Star Wars sugar skulls!!  Wow!!  I bought them, then wondered what I was going to do with them.  All I kept thinking was I needed to put one on a tee shirt.  You know what that requires?  Waste canvas.

First of all, it's hard to find.  The big chain craft stores don't carry a lot of cross stitch supplies anymore, which means they don't have waste canvas.  I finally found it.  Then I needed to figure out how to use it.  I've been a stitcher for more than half my life, and waste canvas is something I have never used. 



It's harder to work with than I had anticipated, but fellow stitchers have assured me that the further I go, the easier it gets.   My plan was to work on this so that I can finish it before summer ends and be able to wear it.  Then another project came along.

Please say hello to Hot Chocolate by Alessandra Adelaide Needleworks.  I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, but I love a good cup of hot chocolate, so I was really excited when I found this design.  I had started it a long time ago, and got about half way through it when I noticed something was wrong. The design wasn't going to fit on the fabric.  What the heck??  I knew I bought a piece that was big enough.  Then I looked and realized I had my fabric turned in the wrong direction.  Ugh!!  There was far too much stitching to rip out, so with a heavy heart I tossed it, and I put the design in my basket, where it got buried and I promptly forgot about it.

Before we left for our trip to Chicago I pulled the basket out to see what I had in there, because it had been a while since I had gone through it, and I found the chart again.  Knowing there was a chance I was going to visit the needlework shop in Crystal Lake I made a mental note to look for fabric if I was able to get there.





It's a 30 count linen, and it's a soft!!  And it was calling my name to begin it again.

So here we are on World Cross Stitch Day, with what I'm working on.  I hope everyone finds some time to celebrate our day today.  Happy Cross Stitch Day!



Comments

Your Hot Chocolate restart looks good. I like the start of your Star Wars sugarskull.

Popular posts from this blog

Not Much Stitching Going On

Sometimes The Instructions Are The Hard Part

Lots Of Borders To Look At